How a birth doula can help
Choosing to hire a birth doula to assist you through your labor is a big decision. Each doula will have her own way of doing things. I see the responsibilities of a birth doula as being:
- Recognizing birth as a key life experience that the mother will remember all her life
- Understanding the physiology of birth and the emotional needs of a woman in labor
- Assisting the woman and her partner in preparing and carrying out their plans for the birth
- Staying by the side of the laboring woman throughout her entire labor
- Providing emotional support and comfort measures through pregnancy and labor
- Offering an objective viewpoint and assisting the mother in getting the information she needs to make good decisions
- Facilitating communication between the laboring woman, her birth partner, and clinical care providers
- Nurturing and protecting the woman’s memory of her birth experience
What can I expect when I hire you?
This will be in a relaxed setting: your home or another place of your choosing. We will talk about my training and experience, as well as what you are looking for in a support role. I’ll be happy to answer any questions you may have.
I will meet with you and your partner before labor to become acquainted, and to explore and discuss your priorities, any fears or concerns, and your birth plan. We will review step-by-step what will happen during labor and childbirth and what I will be doing to help you. We will practice various positions for labor and rehearse relaxation, breathing, and visualization techniques that will help reduce pain and work through contractions.
I encourage my clients to keep in close contact with me by telephone and/or email so I can provide information and support as labor approaches.
I will provide nurturing, peaceful, loving, and continuous support throughout labor and birth. I will be available for you when you think you need my support and employ of a wide range of relaxation techniques and doula favorites like a birthing ball and rebozo.
I will come to visit with you to see how you are feeling and transitioning into motherhood. We will talk about your birth and I will help you with any helpful information and guidance you might need.
You will also receive a special gift from me at our second postpartum visit!!
I will show you a variety of positions and help guide you and your baby to an effective latch.