What does a postpartum doula do?
A post-partum doula offers evidence-based information and general support to mothers and their families following childbirth. I’m there to help you feel secure and confident as you care for you newly expanded family. Ideally, having support at this time is like having an extension of yourself.
This care for the mother and her family in their home can be provided in the first few weeks following the birth or, in certain circumstances, the arrival home of the baby(ies).
What can I expect if I hire you?
Different doulas will see their role in the post-partum period differently. I see my responsibilities as:
- Offering education, companionship and nonjudgmental support during the postpartum “fourth trimester.”
- Assisting with newborn care and family adjustment
- Offering evidence-based information on infant feeding, emotional and physical recovery from birth, infant soothing, and coping skills for new parents, making appropriate referrals when necessary
- Providing information regarding breastfeeding and breastmilk storage
- Breastfeeding support
- Basic newborn care guidance
Why hire a postpartum doula?
Find out! I offer free consultations, and I’m happy to answer any questions you may have!